New Background

Can You Hear Me Now?

Monday, August 07, 2006

Ready, Set, Read!

Books Meme

I have a lot running through my mind in terms of recent visions (not including any sugarplum visions being held til late November, early December), and dreams, as well as current reading, but I’m not prepared mentally to pen these things until I can clarify, through prayer, what it is God is teaching me and showing me!

Instead, I've been tagged by Sally to do Book Meme…I LOVE books, so here goes!

1. One book that changed your life: Aside from the Bible, I’d have to say, ironically enough: “The Celestine Prophecy”. It just came at a time in my life of sheer seeking and it facilitated the lifting of the proverbial lid off the tiny, undersized box I had place all things Spiritual in my life. While I don’t necessarily consider myself a James Redfield follower, I do think the book offers a different way at looking at growth and serendipity.

2. One book that you've read more than once: The one that comes to mind that I’ve read now 4 times is Mike Yaconelli’s “Messy Spirituality”. It always ‘keeps things real’ for me in terms of my tendency to go pious and self-righteous. I look forward to dialoguing with Yaconelli in heaven one day! I can almost hear him from there now!

3. One book you'd want on a desert Island: Not including my Bible, I’d go with a dictionary or perhaps good diverse, thought-provoking poetry (light on words, heavy on thought and meaning).

4. One book that made you laugh: I’d say from a secular perspective I’d go with any of Bill Cosby’s books, but in the Christian genre I’d choose any of Barbara Johnson’s hilarious books and always; Nancy Kennedy is another one I’d read in a heartbeat for laughter!

5. One book that made you cry: I cry fairly readily when reading both fiction and non-fiction probably because it’s a ‘safe’ place to cry and if something I read doesn’t move me to tears, laughter, or deep-thought I probably won’t finish it anyway. Most recently (in the nonfiction category) it was while reading “Searching For God Knows What”. When Donald Miller starts to describe the love Adam (and God) had for Eve, after waiting for so long for her creation…it moved me to tears to think of how much God loved Adam and Eve and more so how much He loves us!

In the fiction category it was Karen Kingsbury’s book “Forgiven”. In all honesty there hasn’t been ONE Karen Kingsbury book I haven’t cried while reading and I admit it freely. The thing that touches me most is that the way her character’s ‘hear from God’ is exactly how I hear from God, so it’s very confirming and faith-building for me!

6. One book that you wish had been written: The Meaning of THIS Step: Holding on to your memory stones!

7. One book you wish had never been written: All self-help books that have the 1,2,3,4,5,6…steps to (fill in your preference of disorder or ‘issue’), unless the steps are God, Jesus, Holy Spirit.

8. One book you are currently reading: I’m reading: Searching for God Knows What (Donald Miller), When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull up a Chair (Geneen Roth) ; and Second Time Around (Nancy Moser)…oh and I’m still working on Discipline of Grace (Jerry Bridges) which I have been reading through for about 8 months now…apparently God isn’t ready for me to finish it yet or I’m just not there yet!

9.One book you've been meaning to read : Hmm…let’s see… I’ve been TRYING to read On Religion by John Caputo and I still haven’t read “Generous Orthodoxy” by Brian McLaren, and now he has the new one: “The Secret Message of Jesus” which I’m looking forward to reading.

I think I’ll tag: Tess if she hasn’t done this one yet…Shalee and Jamie cause they’re both such avid readers…and 2 more: How bout Joy M. and MommaB cause I think knowing what someone reads is very telling! I guess I’ll go let them all know now! And if you want to participate or already have…let me know so I can get some good book reviews/referrals!

Happy Reading People!

9 comments:

Shalee said...

Woo hoo! I was just thinking that no one tags me anymore and then "Pow", I get thumped in the back of my head.

I'll get it done, hopefully for tomorrow.

And I'm afraid I'm going to have a lot more secular books on mine than you have on yours...

Oh and it's great to see that there are others out there who multitask read like I do!

Kari said...

Oh, how I love to read!!! Thanks for the tag... check my post out tomorrow and I'll surprise you a bit with my answers... well, maybe... I'm like Shalee I think... more secular than the brainiac stuff you seem to peruse over!!! Have a blessed day!

Joy M. said...

My first tag! Oh yaaay! I do have some favs and I LOVE to share them.

My only problem is going to be current reads...do blogs count????

Sally said...

wonderful post Kim, you will love a generous orthodoxy-i'm a real Brian McLaren fan- so inspirational!!!

Just Me said...

Hey stumbled on your blog, as I was looking at the Christian Women on Line...I loved reading your blog - I'm new to all this. Took me most of the day to figure out how to leave you a comment!! What I wanted to say, was loved all thing you did on books! I'm a reader and I loved reading what books meant alot to you etc. ONe book I'd love to recommend, if you want a good laugh, is an old book called, "The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass - age 34 3/4 " It's really hilarious and makes you laugh at how religious we can all be!! Hope you like it!

rena said...

Oh, I totally second Yaconelli's book, Messy Spirituality. That was an excellent book. I also liked Generous Orthodoxy by McLaren. If I may..Your God is Too Safe by Mark Buchanan is an excellent read.

the lizness said...

Yay! I haven't done this one yet - I'll be sure to do it before I leave town this week in less than 36 hours.

Kari said...

Okay... mines up. Not as exciting as I had hoped but it was really fun to do! Thanks for the tag and the great post!!!

the lizness said...

I'm up now at the meme blog