New Background

Can You Hear Me Now?

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Essential Essence

Essence: from the Middle English essencia, from Latin essentia, from esse-- to be.

Defined in part by Encarta: The quality of nature of something that identifies it or makes it what it is. And the most basic element or feature of something.

And by Merriam Webster: something that exists : entity. One that possesses or exhibits a quality in abundance as if in concentrated form. The most significant element, quality, or aspect of a thing or person.

I was thinking this morning about my own essence and what that means to me. When I originally thought of the word essence, it floated around in my head as a sort of ethereal whisper of a word. No I don't ALWAYS sit around reading the dictionary or thinking of obtuse words to use...sometimes they just come. This is what happened.

Literally as I sat at my completely uncluttered and uninteresting desk I began to visualize the word: ESSENCE. It appeared big taking up my entire line of vision. The word was white and puffy like clouds.

Then I heard God ask: “Kim, do you know what your essence is?”

Being the obedient daughter of God that I am (hold the laughing to a minimum please), I quickly looked it up (note references above). I read the meanings and let them sink in a bit before answering. For me, I know how God sometimes asks these things to retrain my focus on Him.

“Lord, are you asking me what I’m made of?” I quietly asked. “Or do you want to know ‘who do I think I am?” I asked in only partial jest.

I felt a smile warm me from the outside in and I knew this was one of those times…those times when God is asking me to repeat back to Him who He says I am. Not some rote lesson, but in my own words, who I am in the most basic AND in concentrated form. What is MY most significant element, quality or aspect.

For me the answer is simple. Both in basic AND concentrated form: I am Kim, daughter of a King. My essence is the spirit within me. The spirit of a living God. The spirit of a breathing God. The spirit of a loving God. The spirit of God. (I can almost hear the trumphets blare)!

I'll leave you with these thoughts today...you know it's coming...what is your essence? What is the most essential AND the most concentrated YOU!

“Love is the essence of God.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have a wonderful day reflecting on the essence that is you!

10 comments:

David Edward said...

spookie asked me to drop by, looks like you are blessed to have such conversations with the Almighty.

someone else said...

Beautiful thoughts to start a day.

Shalee said...

I'm assuming you don't mean physically because my answer would have to something like coffee and chocolate.

I've never thought of what my essence is... I would love to soundly proclaim that it is love, but I know too many times when that is not the feeling emitted to others or even to myself.

Perhaps in more truth, I would say my essence is Hope... Hope that God will fill me with His love and His purpose creating me into His child through and through.

GiBee said...

I love that Ralph Waldo Emerson quote! Love IS the essence of God... Excellent.

GiBee said...

Did I mention that I love your signature? The font is so adorable!!! You must share what it's called!

kpjara said...

David: welcome! It would appear that you talk to and hear from God via your poetry. My conversations are a bit more direct, so to speak. You know God, he meets us where we are!

Morning Glory: You are always such a sweetie.

Shalee: Coffee and chocolate essence, oh yeah baby (in the words of AUstin Powers) and I like HOPE for an essence, it speaks volumes, particularly as a mother.

Gibee: I love that quote to and I just 'fell upon it'. As for the font, haven't a clue...I love it...especially the heart over the "j". Ms. SusiePie could probably tell us though.

Brigitte said...

My essence at this point in time is that of a warrior. Yep, I am up on the front line everyday fighting off the attacks of the enemy on my family. At the moment it's just me and the angels, my hubby has not joined the ranks yet - but I trust he will soon (soon in Gods time) but thats me - warrior!!

kpjara said...

Spookie: Warrior is an essence we can all relate to. I pray the battles end in total victory.

There are some mighty mighty WARRIOR ANGELS in the ranks! I'll be praying for your hubby to put on his armor and join up too.

Brigitte said...

Thanks Kim, the more prayers for him, the better! I often dream of the day he is saved - then I can tell him, truly, of the people praying for him - AL OVER THE WORLD!!!

kpjara said...

That's an awesome dream and I know God will bless it!

And I like to imagine the bands playing REALLY LOUD in heaven for the 'prodigals' returning on earth!