New Background

Can You Hear Me Now?

Thursday, February 23, 2006

What To My Wandering Mind Should Appear...

No, NOT a miniature sleigh and 8 tiny reindeer…good grief, it’s WAY too early for that, isn’t it?

Lately I have had WAY too much time on my hands. Bad things can happen when I have TOO much time on my hands. I’m sure in this free-time I’ve been visiting areas of the mind that were not supposed to be found.

What happens to my mind when I have too much time? My mind begins to wander…I don’t complete thoughts without another thought coming to full view. Add to that, my incredible ability to envision something mentally and now I’ve got full-blown, movies rolling through my head of my own creation. Well, actually not movies, more like previews, because of all the jumping from story to story. It would be nice to be able to put it to paper and make it real, though I’m certain it would lose so much in the translation or end up like one of Salvador Dali’s paintings…melting away…

Why do I have so much free time? Without sounding too prideful, I’m a bright person, who has never had a job that required me to work at my potential…and I finish my 8 hours of work on average in about 2-3 hours. Add to that, weeks where one of the physicians is gone…and my workload is now reduced by 1/3. So after my 45 minutes of work, I sit here…thinking, thinking, thinking… I think sometimes, God placed me in this specific position to give me time to think.

It reminds me of some movie…I think…possibly even some “Twilight Zone” episode where a person is completely solitary and is forced to think and create his/her own existence. You’d think it would be euphoric and ideal, but actually it’s quite horrific. In solitude, our minds wander off to dark places, one very clear indicator why God made us relational people.

My mind then drifts to POW’s that were placed in solitary confinement for days, weeks, even years, sometimes without light…they were ‘messed up’ (for lack of a better term), when they were “rescued” or “released”. The mind took them places no person should ever go. They suffer from hallucinations? Or do they really see things we can’t in our state of consciousness?

Our reality is exactly that: OUR REALITY. Just because YOU didn’t see it, feel it, hear it; doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. By government standards; just because you DID see it, feel it, hear it, doesn’t mean it DID happen! Think; Roswell.

See what I mean…I’ve now traversed from the mind-numbing work I do all day with numbers and figures and phone calls and people and interactions and forms and checks and balances….to this HUGE cavernous space, full of uncertainty and unknown things.

When I put the “God-Spin” on it, I think it could be His way of reminding me that the world is bigger than I can see or imagine…that HE is bigger than the box I’ve so neatly placed Him in all these years. He’s splitting out the sides of the box and now like a sunrise, He’s reflecting to the whole world…and my box is destroyed. My safe, understood world is now blown to bits.

I thank GOD that He is willing to push me and prod me and let my mind wander freely and I pray that it ultimately always draws me back to Him as I seek to understand His love and His desire for me.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (New International Version)
8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.
9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts higher than your thoughts"

No comments: