New Background

Can You Hear Me Now?

Sunday, April 23, 2006

They're HUGE!

“It's time to stop being gripped by fear and to start gripping God” – Unknown

On the way to small group last night, my husband and I were listening to some CD’s he ordered from a church we both like. It’s the Top-10 sermons of the year. Last night the CD was talking about “Giants”. We know the story. Moses sent the group of men out to see who was residing in their “promised land” and upon their return many of the men declared these people were GIANTS.

Among those men were only 2 that didn’t see GIANTS; they were Caleb and Joshua. The pastor pointed out that Caleb didn’t see through eyes of fear, these GIANTS the other men spoke of, rather he saw through the eyes of clarity God had given them in His promises.

The pastor also pointed out that anything that is defeating us becomes our giant. It was one of those uncomfortable AHA moments. Initially I thought: "nothing ‘defeats’ me…well except for maybe future uncertainties, human rejection, and a few other hundred or so things."

Don’t you hate those moments when God clearly says: “yes, this applies to you too!”? It’s always right when I’m feeling pretty darn good about what He’s already done in my life and I’m getting a bit too comfortable in that place.

I’m praying AND believing, this morning, that God’s clarity will be the overcomer of these giants; new and old. I’m praying that I would start “gripping God”.

Have an awesome Sunday!

2 comments:

HeyJules said...

Okay, I know this is totally off subject but I have to tell you this...

When my baby sister was growing up she was afraid of the Stay Puff Marshmallow man. Not really sure why, exactly, but she was.

When I opened your post up and saw "Stopped being gripped by fear..." and then saw the Stay Puff Marshmallow man, I almost blew Diet Coke out my nose!

Okay, back on topic - great post! And yes, I like when God kicks us in order to get us off our complacent and comfortable rear ends and gets us moving again.

kpjara said...

That giant marshmallow dude always creeped me out...and I'm glad I could facilitate a potential diet coke nasal explosion...that is SO cool!