I went to a new women’s study this past Sunday. I didn’t sign up initially because I had so many other things going on…and they were doing a study on strengthening marriage and frankly, it’s not an area I struggle in and when I do struggle I don’t typically seek advice from a book…I go to the sources; God and husband.
Last week I was struggling. I just felt like God was telling me to go to this study. I picked up the book on Sunday after service and even read the chapter and answered the questions. The chapter spoke about the wife’s role as ‘helper’ and the role of the submissive wife.
I don’t mind the word helper. I think it’s kind of nice. It reminds me of a Kindergarten teacher’s assistant. I HATE the word Submissive. In this computer's dictionary it means: giving in or tending to give in to the demands or the authority of others.
It reminds me of a dog’s role to his/her owner. I know Satan is the author of these negative connotations. I also immediately think to myself: too stupid to handle it on my own, submit to someone else to make my decisions for me. I’m not really prepared to write anything further on this right now…I really need to pray and seek God in this area to find His answers. Plus due to the daily “challenge” I’ve already said too much on the topic.
The challenge for this week was to take one day (one week if you’re brave) to do NO complaining and/or grumbling. I obviously picked the wrong week to join Bible Study…
I knew there was no way I could do it on a Monday…are you kidding me? I decided to start today. So I’m sitting at my desk, getting ready to ‘clock in’ and thinking Lord, let’s start off right. First forgive me for grumbling about submission…
I’ll continue from yesterday and list 10 blessings in my life today:
1. I had so many clothes to choose from this morning. Thank you Lord for prosperity and plenty!
2. Traffic was light on the way to work. Thank you Jesus for protection!
3. I can see and hear and walk and drive. Thank you Jesus for health and wholeness!
4. I have so many freedoms I take them for granted. Thank you Lord for our country and for those who die to preserve freedom.
5. I have a husband who loves me exactly as I am and still offers me to Jesus daily to grow! Thank you Lord for a GODLY husband who truly treats me as you do the church.
6. I have family that loves me and cares for me. Thank you God for ordaining my parents and siblings.
7. I have talents and abilities. Thank you Lord for choosing them carefully.
8. I have friends. Thank you Lord for meeting every need.
9. I had breakfast this morning and food for each meal. Thank you God for providing our meals.
10. I have a heart filled with the Holy Spirit. Thank you Jesus for sending this helper!
I pray I can offer one day without grumbling and complaining and if I do “mess up” God will show me immediately so that I can re-set my course.