New Background

Can You Hear Me Now?

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Becoming...

"What you are becoming is more important than what you are accomplishing."

This is a quote from my calender of motivational quotes. It's from a few days ago but I had been so BUSY accomplishing things...I hadn't been reading my daily motivation.

As with so many things 'art imitates life'. There are days when I am so busy just accomplishing the the only thing I become...is exhausted.

There was a line in a movie we saw last weekend (In the Land of Women), where Meg Ryan's character says (and I'm seriously paraphrasing because I have a horrible memory), "I just don't want to look back on my life and wonder where it went."

I can so relate. I think most of us can SO relate.

I want my focus to be about how God is growing me...in every venue of my life. I don't want to wake up one morning and I'm on the last quarter mile of my journey, or even standing before God and I'm the same unchanged and unchangeable person I was as I entered this journey.

This is the thing, one of the things, that keeps me going, keeps me growing, keeps me moving towards the "ME" I know God created me to be.

I ponder what it is to 'become'. I don't think it's a goal anymore. My life journey has really been a process of becoming.

Before I was born, I was becoming someones infant.
When I was an infant, I was about becoming a child.
When I was a child, I was about becoming a teenager.
When I was a teenager, I was all about becoming an adult.
When I was in my 20's, I was all about becoming rich.
When I was in my 30's, I was about becoming wise.
Now that I'm well into my 40's, I realize I have the potential to become each and every day.

I hope I remember in my 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's (for as long as God uses me) to use each moment of each day to become. I hope I remember to value the journey instead of the destination.

Have a becoming week!

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

I love that quote in the beginning of your post. Meditating on that helps me to re-focus. I don't want to care so much about accomplishing. I have to ask myself: Am I becoming more like Jesus? Am I becoming a person who loves better each day? Am I becoming more gentle, more generous, more patient, more kind all the time? Usually I have to truthfully answer "no" to those questions but a girl can try, right?

Shalee said...

That is such a poignant and attention grabbing quote, kpjara. And the journey is so much more enjoyable if we can just relax and enjoy the view along the way...

Dawn said...

Good stuff, my friend! I thought you were much younger - you seem so!