New Background

Can You Hear Me Now?

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Echo of a Whisper

Last night in Bible Study we talked about Elijah and one of his encounters with God. Elijah was looking for the great and mighty Lord to LOUDLY reverberate as He passed by Elijah...but he didn't. God whispered to Elijah, the same way he often whispers to me...to us.

God has been whispering to me more and more...or perhaps more likely...I've been quieted down enough to hear the whispering that is there much more than I ever dreamed. You see, something has happened to me in the past several months.

I originally thought it was just related to church "burn-out" or even apathy. I didn't FEEL apathetic, but I did feel a bit 'burned-out' and I just sort of quit talking about it all. I quit talking about every little thing I felt passion about. I thought I just got tired of the noise. Now I think it's something more.

I think God quieted me down. I think He's been waiting and waiting for a chance to talk to me and He knows me well enough to know I had to be quieted down before I'd ever hear Him.

I know I've shared how quiet my husband used to be. He could easily sit in silence in a room full of conversation, for the entire time. I would just be chatting away and he'd comfortably sit and take it all in. The last few times we've been out with friends or even in a church social setting, I sit quietly, while he chats away with ease.

Don't get me wrong...I CAN and DO talk...especially when I get really riled up. The difference is now I can hear the meaningless banter and turn it off much more quickly. Perhaps part of it is the aging process. Perhaps part of it is allergy related (LOL). I have to believe the largest part is God and the words of encouragement He's given me over the past weeks.

God is whispering...and I'm praying for that echo!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

A good lesson I need to embrace. Thanks for tagging me - I'm finally getting to the meme today.

Joy M. said...

"I quit talking abot every little thing I felt passion about."

That's where I am. I have this passion that consumes me, but I feel like all I am doing is talking about it and it's getting me nowhere. Like you, I am trying to back up to the place where I heard God speak this passion into me and hear from Him why He did it. I think he put it there and I took off running without really seeing where it was I was supposed to go with it.

Joy M. said...

Oh and that story I needed to tell, but it wasn't quite time...? It's time.

Ms. Kathleen said...

I think God will do just about anything to catch our attention...He just loves us and wants us that much. Thanks for a great post.

Salar37_Shushan said...

This is a great word. I am another one that has had to learn to just be quiet and wait on Yeshua.

Susan