New Background

Can You Hear Me Now?

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Exhaling

This campaign season has been the same as every major campaign before. I’m disappointed that we choose to focus on the negative campaigning rather than seeking the truth about any candidate. I’m disappointed that we haven’t shifted to a party-free, popular-vote system…but more than anything I’m disappointed in many “Christians”.

I've heard more disparaging remarks and negativity at my small group than in any other setting. I don’t know if it’s the openness welcomed in this setting, but it has been downright uncomfortable on many occasions and I have found myself near walking out several times.

For someone to tell me I am less of a ‘Christian’, or to question my love for God based on my politics, dug into me hard. But for once in my ‘going-on-45-years’…I did not say a word. I listened and steamed and took deep breaths and drank coffee and wanted so much to engage in the battle…but God said “NO”. I didn't say a word.

Well that’s not entirely true, there was one evening I did say…only half in jest… ‘if we don’t change the subject I’m going to have to leave.’ The group leader did a good job of redirecting conversation back to our study information.

Suffice to say, I’m glad it’s over…or nearly so and as I've been saying all along, it doesn't really matter who is in office…GOD IS ULTIMATELY IN CONTROL! I will continue to pray for our politicians and for our nation and believe we are greater united. I will not gloat, nor will I weep with these people at this week’s meeting. I will once again keep my mouth shut and pray for the peace we have allowed to be compromised during this election.

…and now I will slowly exhale…

5 comments:

Miche said...

I think there was a lot of that going around. Feels good to breathe again.

Rachel said...

Amen. And thank you for reminding me not to gloat, but to pray.

Shalee said...

Amen and amen. This is why I personally avoided all political commercials and articles, all media presentations and anything that had to do with the "system". I knew for whom I was going to vote and nothing was going to change my mind. Why put myself through all the ugliness leading up to the day that I could stand in line and have my say?

Dawn said...

I hope you're having a great Christmas season! Blessings!

Aunt Murry said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!